Nate McMillan to coach Team Hill at 2014 Rising Stars Challenge
There won’t be a night at NBA All-Star Weekend when a member of the Pacers organization isn’t involved.
For the second time, Paul George and Roy Hibbert both made the coveted All-Star team, which will be coached by Frank Vogel and his staff because Indiana has the best record in the Eastern Conference. Saturday night, George is competing in the Slam Dunk Contest. Following the All-Star Celebrity Game (7 p.m.), which Indiana Fever star Tamika Catchings will be playing in, is the Rising Stars Challenge (9 p.m.).
Pacers associate head coach Nate McMillan will be coaching one team — Team Hill — at the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night in New Orleans. Oklahoma City top assistant, Rex Kalamian, is expected to lead Team Webber. In what used to be the rookies against the sophomores, the past two years it has two teams with a pool of first or second-year players that are drafted by former players serving as general managers.
Previously, it was Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal. This year, Chris Webber and Grant Hill, both of whom are now analysts for Turner Sports. Last week, the two drafted their teams during a TNT special.
McMillan joked on Wednesday that he doesn’t have much responsibility, other than to look the part and decide on substitutions — which is typically set before the game.
Team Hill includes ex-Pacers center Miles Plumlee and Portland’s Damian Lillard, who’s taking part in five events over the weekend. See the full roster list below:
- Damian Lillard (Portland, Soph.)
- Bradley Beal (Washington, Soph.)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit, Soph.)
- Harrison Barnes (Golden State, Soph.)
- Terrence Jones (Houston, Soph.)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee, Rookie)
- Jonas Valanciunas (Toronto, Soph.)
- Dion Waiters (Cleveland, Soph)
- Miles Plumlee (Phoenix, Soph)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans, Soph.)
- Michael Carter-Williams (Philadelphia, Rookie)
- Tim Hardaway Jr. (New York, Rookie)
- Trey Burke (Utah, Rookie)
- Jared Sullinger (Boston, Soph.)
- Mason Plumlee (Brooklyn, Rookie)
- Victor Oladipo (Orlando, Rookie)
- Steven Adams (OKC, Rookie)
- Kelly Olynyk (Boston, Rookie)